Monday, February 6, 2012

New Balance MT110

Ok, so after 100+ miles on them, here is my review on the NB110's that I picked up over the Winter months.



Weight: 7.7 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (18mm), Forefoot (14mm); 4mm heel / toe drop.

I have to say that my first impressions of the shoe are influenced from my experience over the previous model, the NB101 that I really enjoyed, but needed some improvements in my opinion.


First Impressions (Out of the box):

My first run in these was on packed snowy trails. We did about 15 miles at a relatively quick pace on singletrack, snow covered roads, and groomed packed snow trails. In order, these are the most noticeable changes from the 101: improved traction, noticeably better fit, nimble, sock-like fit. In the photo below, I have on a thin pair of smart wool socks but I have put on over 100 miles in these shoes, many of which have run sock-less. I wear an 11.5 in most running shoes and these fit true to size. I do have a fuller midfoot, so for me, these run a little on the snug side. Without socks (or very thin ones), they are a near perfect fit for me.These do come in widths, so once these are worn out, I may try a larger width in them as long as it does not affect heel slippage.

Due to weather and travel, the majority of my runs in these shoes were on very sloppy and cold conditions. The traction is much better than the 101, but these shoes did not excel for me in very muddy conditions. I literally could not wait to get them on fast and dry trails. I had a feeling that these would excel at mid-distance, dry trails where you can scamper down the trail like a fox.

They do have a light rock plate which saves your feet from the rocks and I should make note that the upper has a really supple and new membrane that gives it a very smooth feel. I have ripped a few holes from sharp rocks and even some sticks that have caught the membrane, but I would expect as much from such a lightweight shoe.

The toe-"lip" as I would call it gives some protection over the big toe, which is needed and a nice thought.

Laces - It always bothers me when shoe companies put a lot of thought into a new shoe yet the laces don't stay tied. NB has got this right, they have simple laces that hold in place....well done. 

Drainage - the drainage in these shoes is excellent, but they do like to collect sediment due to the lower cut sides.

I've since taken these out on a few speed workouts on the trails that cover everything from asphalt, fire-roads, to technical rocky single-track, grassy fields, and well worn paths. I've run anywhere from 8-18 miles in them and think they would be perfect for 5k to 50k on trails. As for 100miles at Leadville in them like Anton Krupika....I need a little more cushion, but if you want a minimum featured neutral trail shoe for your daily training & racing, this one is a strong contender.

Oh, one point that can not be missed.....molded in the lugs are the inverted words "K E E P  U P" so when you leave your foot print, the followers can read it correctly. Nice touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment