Monday, February 6, 2012

Nuun Hydration


I'll put this on the table before I proceed on the nuun (pronounced like "noon") review. I am a proud nuun ambassador starting in 2011 and recently confirmed to continue into 2012. I would not promote nuun if I didn't actually use it.

If you have read other posts of mine on races, nutrition, and other ramblings, you will find a common thread that I always use nuun. I use other products/foods for my caloric intake and those have changed as I have progressed in my running, but I have been a loyal nuun consumer throughout.

I'm not going to go through all the facts, all the things that it does. I will tell you that every single ultramarathon from 50k to 100 miles, I have have utilized the product. I don't have an iron stomach, maybe more steel....but there are some items that I can just not tolerate after hours and hours on the trails. I will say that I literally still enjoy nuun until the end. If you don't want tropical berry anymore, change it, there are a ton of other flavors.


Here are the things I like the most:

Portability - they come in these great little tubes, pop the cap, drop in 1,2 depending on your needs. Keep the tube with you in the hydration pack or use single serve packets in your handheld. When you run out and go to re-fill your water, drop in the tabs. I use 1-2 per 16oz bottle, and 4-6+ in a 60oz hydration bladder, depending on conditions. 
Flavor - the flavor is slight enough to tolerate for hours on a run, ride, etc... It also works great for everyone; I give it to my kids for sports & other activities rather than high sugar drinks!
Electrolytes - the actual product is not just sodium. They contain sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin C, & B-12 and a list of other non-active ingredients. 8 cals per tab, no carbs, no sugar, vegetarian, etc.. see the FAQ for more detailed information.



So, that's my 2 cents on nuun. I have used it since I discovered it at a local bike store. I bought a tube and after always messing with taking electrolyte pills while running and cycling, I was excited to try a product that tasted great and allowed me to drink as normal rather than try to take pills while running (not always easy at race pace!!).

So, go check out the website, pickup a couple tubes and try it.






No comments:

Post a Comment